2020 Loom Reviews: Pros, Cons and the Best Alternative
It is important to note that the basic version of the loom screen recorder is free to download. This version, although has limitations, can record the screen as well as loom video screen webcam and mic, allowing you to capture both audio and video. You can download Loom for free from the program's main website and the installation process is very simple.
If you don't want to download the loom program, you can choose to use the free loom screen recorder extension that can be deployed from your Chrome browser.
How to Use Loom Screen Recorder
Like we have already seen, you can use the loom recorder desktop tool or the Chrome extension. Here's how each of them works;
- Using the Loom Desktop Client
Step 1: Download and install Loom on to your computer. Once the installation process is complete, open the program on your computer. In the main window, select the type of video recording that you would like to make. You have three options; Cam only, screen only or screen + cam
Step 2: If you just want to record the screen only, you will have to define the parameters of the video you want to record. Here, there are also three options; full screen, window and custom size.
It is important to note that you can only use the "custom size" option with the paid version.
Step 3: Finally, just click on "Start Recording" and the video will begin recording.
- Using Loom Chrome Extension
Step 1: Begin by downloading the loom extension from the Google Chrome web store.
Step 2: Once the extension has been installed on your browser, you can simply activate it by clicking on the pinwheel icon on the upper left section of the browser.
You can then configure the settings of the video you would like to record.
Pros and Cons of Loom Screen Recorder
To help you determine if the Loom screen capturer is best for you, we have outlined the pros and cons of the program below;
- It is very easy to use, allowing you to start recording in a single click and stop the recording just as easily. The link of the video that is created is also automatically copied to the clipboard to make sharing easy.
- You can choose to record the whole screen or a section of the screen
- It allows users to easily share videos via Gmail directly by automatically attaching the video to the body of the email.
- It will let you know when someone views your videos
- You can add comments and notes as annotations in the video at any point during the recording
- It offers unlimited storages and provisions for easy organization of folders
- It has a free version
- You can save the videos in MP4 format
- The free version limits the videos you can record to just 5-minutes although you can increase this time limit by referring a friend to Loom
- Videos of the whole screen are often of lower quality.
Best Loom Screen Recorder Alternative
Even though the Loom is free and very easy to use, it is limited in functionality such that it may not be the best solution for the recording of videos that should be in high resolution. If you are looking for a screen recorder that will produce videos in high resolution and allow you numerous editing features that can transform your video into a work of art, we recommend using Wondershare DemoCreator.
This screen recorder comes with such powerful features that you can easily use it to record even gameplay. Yet, it remains very easy to use, allowing users to capture the screen in a single click and use the variety of built-in editing tools to edit the video in numerous ways, including trimming the video. Part of the numerous editing tools is the arsenal of effects that you can use to enhance the video's message in a variety of ways. It will also allow you to save the resultant video in a number of different formats including MP4, MOV, and GIF.
When looking for the best screen recorder for PC, it is often a good idea to look at the features you can get from the program especially from the free version. With Loom Screen recorder, you can easily record the screen along with audio, but you may not be able to get much in terms of editing features. The Chrome Extension is perhaps the best feature of the Loom recorder since it is very easy to install and use.
But if you want a more robust and feature-rich solution that you can use to create a professionally recorded and edited screen recordings, we recommend using Wondershare DemoCreator.